Buying Your Home In Bozeman

What’s the first thing I should do to be able to buy a house?

Speak with a mortgage lender.  A lender can give you advice on what kind of mortgage you will qualify for to purchase a home and the type of mortgage you qualify for will determine how much down payment you need to have.  If you need a recommendation of a lender in Bozeman, call me and I can recommend some great ones.

If I see a house I like, maybe at an Open House or advertised in the paper, do I work with the real estate agent that I meet at the open house or whose sign is on the house?

The real estate agent who holds the open house or whose sign is in the yard is representing the seller. You may want your own representative who represents you, the buyer.  Your agent can help you see all the homes that fit your needs and your budget and then make a financial comparison between them.

How do I go about choosing an agent to represent me when I want to buy a home?

The three key criteria for highly qualified agent are: full-time, experienced and educated.

Start by asking the agent if the agent is a full-time agent and works solely in real estate.  This will assure you that your agent has the time to dedicate herself to working on your behalf and that helping you isn’t just a side-job. 

Next ask the agent about her experience.  Has she helped other buyers in your price range? In the neighborhood you are interested in? Finally, ask the agent you are considering hiring, how many homes she has sold.  This will give you an idea of how experienced the agent will be in dealing with the challenges that can arise when you are purchasing a home.

A good way to think about selecting an agent is the same way you might select a surgeon or a dentist. You wouldn’t choose a doctor or a dentist who had just a few dozen successful procedures or who had another job on evenings and week-ends.

Finally, select an agent who has completed additional education and certification in real estate. This is a indicator of an agent’s devotion to acquiring advanced training to learn all she can to serve her clients. Here are some of the most respected certifications your agent can acquire:

  • Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR)
  • Certified Residential Specialist (CRS)
  • Graduate, REALTOR® Institute (GRI)
  • National Association of REALTORS® GREEN Designee (GREEN)
  • Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES)
  • Certified Luxury Home Specialist

How Is My Buyer’s Representative Compensated?

Many buyers wonder if they’ll pay more if they use a buyer’s rep. In almost every case, home sellers have already agreed to pay a commission to the buyer’s agent.  Although buyers seldom pay real estate commissions, this is an important detail you should discuss with your agent.

Is it smarter for me to rent or buy?

Use this handy Mortgage Calculator to help you find out what’s smart for you. 

Where is the “best” part of the Valley for me to live?

It may sound trite but every part of the Gallatin Valley has something to offer.  Start by thinking about how close you want to be to work, or what schools you want your children to attend.  Maybe you are retired and don’t have to worry about a commute or a school district. In that case you might think about recreational activities you want to be near—the Emerson Cultural Center or trail head to the National Forest.  Maybe weather is a consideration.  There are micro-climates throughout the Gallatin Valley.  Three Forks is the “banana belt”, relatively speaking, of course, while Bridger Canyon has significant amounts of snowfall.

Contact Denise


Sales Associate
Cell: 406.580.5065
Office: 406.586.7676

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Montana Properties
2001 Stadium Drive
Bozeman, MT 59715

Contact Denise